History of the Tullow Show

The First Show was held on 19th September 1946, in the Gaelic Park. Tullow. The Show had lapsed in 1913, and was revived by the Young Farmers Club. 1200 exhibits, including Livestock, Bloodstock, and Home Exhibits, were presented and judged for the First Show, The day ended with a dance which had an attendance of 500 in the Captain Murphy Memorial Hall. Admission to Dance and supper was  ten shillings, and dancing went on until daylight.

The show moved from the Gaelic Park to Youngs of Coppenagh in 1955. This new venue allowed more space for the show to expand and we have celebrated our diamond anniversary and continue to move from strength to strength.

During the years the Show moved with the times. Many new attractions have been added, though Agriculture still remains high on the agenda. The promotion of quality food, and crafts feature strongly in recent times, and Trade Stands provide a colourful display for prospective customers. The Entries have increased to over 3000, and the attendance in the region of 10,000.